The client will be responsible for all of the following unless otherwise specified:
Building and/or Room Use Policies:
- A refundable damage deposit of $50 will be charged for renting one to four rooms and $100 for renting five to eight rooms. All rooms will be inspected following the event. If damages are identified, the damage deposit will not be returned. Client must contact the executive director on the next business day regarding the issue. All or part of the damage deposit may be kept if problems are found.
- Any damage to Harlan Center property above what the damage deposit will cover will be the responsibility of the client. The client is defined for the purpose of this document as the person who signs the rental contract.
- Exception to the damage deposit guidelines:
- Harlan Center expressly prohibits the use of glow necklaces, bracelets, or other items filled with colored fluid due to excessive staining of carpet and linens.
- Glitter is also prohibited due to the excessive amount of time it takes to clean it up.
- If these items are used, a $200 cleanup fee will be charged to the client.
- Arrangements for entertainment, clean up after the event and equipment other than what the Harlan Center agrees to arrange.
- It is up to the client to make sure all guests remain within their rented space. Once the guests arrive, the door should be closed to cut down on the noise level. No gathering in the hallways, remember that this is a multiple-use facility.
- The cut-off time for all events is 12:00 a.m. If an event runs past the cut-off time, the client will be charged $35.00 for each half-hour increment accrued.
- The Harlan Center will have the final say of the maximum number of people that can occupy space for an event or function. This will be based on the individual event and the Fire Marshall's codes.
- Smoking is not permitted anywhere in the building. Client will be responsible for enforcing the non-smoking policy within the building. Smoking is permitted outside the entrances of the building.
- Candles must be enclosed in a glass shade or votive container.
- No items (decorations, posters, flip chart paper, etc.) may be affixed to any wall, ceiling, or light fixture with tape, nails, tacks, screws, or any type of adhesive. Post-it flip chart paper is permitted on walls if pre-arranged with the Harlan Center.
- No staples or tape are to be used on the tables.
- No glitter, confetti, sprinkles, silly string, rice, birdseed, flower petals, or bubbles may be used inside of the facility.
- Loitering is not permitted in the front of the building or parking lot.
- Outside signs and banners are prohibited.
- Camping is only permitted in the R.V. Park located on the premises.
- The Harlan Center is not responsible for any lost or stolen property or any personal or rental items left on the premises. If we find lost items, they will be kept for 30 days and then disposed of if not picked up.
- The Harlan Center is not responsible for any accidents or injuries sustained by the client, its employees, patrons or any persons attending or traveling to or from the event at the Center.
- Client's use of the premises should not be a nuisance nor disrupt or cause interference with any other uses of other areas of the facility or its neighbors. Please keep in mind the building is a multiple use facility.
- No alcohol is permitted in the Harlan Center per Kentucky Revised Statutes 242.310 and 243.020(3)
- For four to eight rooms: a 60-day notice is required for refund of the 50% rental deposit paid upfront and the damage deposit; however there will be a $25.00 handling fee. For less than four rooms, at least a two-week notice is required for refund of rental deposit and damage deposit and there will be a $10.00 handling fee.
- The caterer will be responsible for all of the following unless otherwise specified. If the event is not using a catering service, the client assumes responsibility for the guidelines below. It is the client's responsibility to make his/her caterer aware of the responsibilities below.
- If place settings are used, caterer or client must arrange for the dishes to be washed.
- All food preparation must take place off the premises.
- All trash must be enclosed in tied bags and placed in dumpster or taken away.
- All cleanups must be completed immediately following the event and supplies removed. The caterer or client is responsible for clearing tables, removing all garbage and if the kitchen is used, for leaving it clean and in order and this includes mopping the floor and washing the dishes if they are used. If Center employees have to clean after caterers or guests, the damage deposit will be lost.
- Deli trays from local grocery stores and restaurants are allowed as well as food delivered from area restaurants.
For more information:
& Convention Commission
201 S. Main Street, Harlan KY 40831
Phone: (606) 573-4495
Fax: (606) 573-9485