Portal No. 31 Underground Mine Tour offers visitors the unique experience of touring an actual coal mine by rail car. Visitors will adorn the traditional protective gear of the coal miner as they enjoy animated exhibits along the tour.
Outside Portal 31 stands a black granite monument in tribute to long time president of the United Mine Workers John L. Lewis and a memorial to U.S. Steel District #1 miners who died in mining accidents. The site also features a 1920s lamphouse, bathhouse, L&N train depot and loadout system.
Portal 31 RV Park is located directly across from the Portal. With 12 hookups and 8 primitive parking spaces, the park adds another option for local accommodations. The park offers a sewer dump station for tour buses and RV vehicles.
- -Adults: $8.00
- -Seniors: (62 & up) $6.00
- -H.S. Students/College: $5.00
- -3yrs of age - 8th grade: $4.00
- -Adults: $15.00
- -Seniors: (62 & up) $13.00
- -H.S. Students/College: $9.00
- -3yrs of age - 8th grade: $6.00
- -Adults: $20.00
- -Seniors: (62 & up) $16.00
- -H.S. Students/College: $12.00
- -3yrs of age - 8th grade: $9.00
- Portal prices are subject to a 3% tourism tax
For more information contact Phyllis Sizemore.
Activities / Amenities|
Owned and operated by the
Southeast Education Foundation
Bookings are taken by the Kentucky Coal Museum
Tuesday - Saturday:
10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Video: Coal Mining in the 1950s