From having the highest point in the state of Kentucky at Black Mountain to traveling beneath the earth at Portal 31, Harlan County, Kentucky has it all. If you’re looking for something to do, here is Harlan County from top to bottom.
If you’re looking for adventure at the top of Harlan County:
- Take your motorcycle on the Dragon Slayer HWY 160 which crosses the highest point in the state of Kentucky at Black Mountain. You can also cycle to the top of Black Mountain!
- Zipline at the Black Mountain Thunder Zipline where you’ll soar up to 500 feet off the ground at speeds reaching 60 miles per hour.
- Ride ATVs at the Black Mountain Off-Road Adventure Area. This former coal mine site has transformed into Kentucky’s highest elevated off-road park!
- Ride paddle boats, play putt putt golf, go fishing, or camp at Kingdom Come State Park. Make mountaintop memories along the ridge of Pine Mountain.
If you’re looking for explore at ground level:
- Enjoy the downtown areas of the county. Drop in at a favorite boutique. Grab a meal at a local restaurant. Attend a community event. Pose for pictures in front of a mural. Spend your dollars with local businesses!
- Visit the Kentucky Coal Mining Museum. Take a journey through the history of coal mining in Kentucky. Once you’ve looked at all of the exhibits, visit the Benham Schoolhouse Inn and have a bite to eat at the Dinner Bucket.
- Go hiking at Blanton Forest State Nature Preserve.
- Swim at Martins Fork Lake.
If you’re looking for a thrill at the bottom of Harlan County:
- Visit Portal 31, an underground mine tour that takes you on a minecart through a previously in use coal mine. Get a feel for what it was like for generations of miners who made the trek everyday.
- Harlan County’s lowest elevation is found near the spot where the Cumberland River leaves the county. Launch your kayak at the headwaters of the Cumberland River and paddle your way to the low point in the midst of the mountains!
No matter what elevation you are at throughout Harlan County, you are sure to experience some type of adventure or thrill. Explore all levels of Harlan and decide which one is your favorite!