🚨🚨The Great Harlan County Scavenger Hunt is here!🚨🚨
How well do you know Harlan County? We challenge you to find the location described in the clues and take a selfie at each location. Each photo you submit enters you into a drawing for a $250 grand prize! Some riddles will earn you 2 chances or even 3. Submit your photos to the Visit Harlan County page by 11:59PM May 30th! All participants must adhere to local, state, and federal laws.Let the scavenger hunt begin…
1. We love locally owned businesses! Hop into a “mom and pop” shop and take a selfie in the store for 1 chance to win the grand prize! While you’re there, be sure to shop for local products!
2. A building in downtown Cumberland displays the first painted mural in Harlan County. Take a selfie in front of the gorgeous wild flowers and butterflies for 1 chance to win the grand prize!
3. Motorcyclists love to roar their way to the peak of Black Mountain on the DragonSlayer Hwy 160. At the Welcome Center in Lynch, a dragon guards the route. Take a photo with this dragon for 1 chance at the grand prize.
4. At this spot in downtown Harlan, Petunia hangs out picking at Poke berries waiting for all of her friends to come by and say, “HELLO!” Take a selfie with Petunia for 1 chance to win the grand prize.
5. Splish splash your way to 1 chance to win the grand prize but taking a photo at one of Harlan County’s two splashpads!
6. Dedicated to the memory of the valiant sons of Harlan County who gave their lives during World War 1, this statue looks over downtown Harlan every day. Take a selfie with this statue for 1 chance to win the grand prize.
7. On the outskirts of downtown Harlan, you can find this obelisk standing on what once was the main road into downtown Harlan. Coal companies from all over Harlan County helped erect this monument commemorating Harlan County and the industry that helped shape it. Take a selfie with this piece of history for 1 chance to win the grand prize.
8. Where can you sink your toes in the sand while surrounded by mountains? Find Harlan County’s only sandy beach and take a photo there for 1 chance to win the grand prize!
9. Commemorating the memory of Harlan County miners who lost their lives in the mines while supporting their families and a nation, this monument stands proudly in downtown. Take a selfie at this monument for 1 chance at the grand prize.
10. FORE! Take a picture at one of Harlan County’s golf or mini-golf courses for 1 chance at the grand prize.
11. As you come to the end of 119, there is a sign ready to greet you and show you all of the tourist activities to the left and to the right of this sign. Take a selfie at this sign officially welcoming tourists to Harlan County for 1 chance at the grand prize!
12. We want to tell everyone in Harlan County to take a hike! Hit the trail and show us a photo of you on a hike in Harlan County for 1 chance to win the grand prize.
13. While ours may not be as big as the Hoover, this large man made structure is the first thing you’ll see before the Martins Fork Lake if you are traveling north on highway 987. Take a selfie at this location for 1 chance at the grand prize.
14. Some of the most beautiful scenery in Harlan County can be seen at a small, pristine lake located at the base of Stone Mountain off of KY 987 on KY 3099. Take a selfie at this lake for 1 chance to win the grand prize.
15. Celebrate Harlan County’s unique eats! Whether it’s an item you won’t find anywhere else, a dish served in a distinctly Harlan County way, or a food named with local flair, show off Harlan County’s food scene. Send us a photo of you enjoying a menu item you can only find in Harlan County. You’ll get 1 chance in the grand prize drawing.
16. A national historic landmark, this location is a private, nonprofit, educational institution located on 625 acres on the north side of Pine Mountain. This location’s mission is to enrich lives and connect people through Appalachian place-based education for all ages. Take a selfie at this piece of history for 2 chances to win the grand prize.
17. No matter where you go in Harlan County, you can find yourself surrounded by incredible mountains and beauty. However, viewing those mountains from one of our overlooks can make for a memory you’ll never forget! Take a selfie at one of our overlooks in Harlan County for 2 chances to win the grand prize! We will give you 3 chances if you take them at a sunrise or sunset!
18. John L. Lewis looked out for his UMWA members and now the monument to him stands where he can keep an eye on this former union mine/current underground mine tour. Take a photo with this monument for 1 chance at the grand prize.
19. It may look like this chair was made for a giant but it’s made for visitors to one of Kentucky’s highest elevated state parks. Take a photo with this chair and the bear next to it for 1 chance to win the grand prize.
20. Take a chance to learn more about the attractions and places to visit in Harlan County by coming to this building where you might bring a visitor for their first time to Harlan County! You might have even visited this building during the Poke Sallet Festival or a Mountain Market! Take a selfie inside the visitor center for 1 chance to win the grand prize and a 2nd chance if you take one of Harlan County’s brochures!
21. There’s always something fun to do in Harlan County! Take a picture of yourself at a community event for 1 chance at the grand prize. Need some ideas of events taking place? Visit www.harlancountytrails.com or follow Visit Harlan County.
22. What was once a company store is now a spot for coal mining lore! Visit this museum and take a photo for 1 chance at the grand prize.
23. This train stop in Evarts used to welcome travelers and goods transported to the Cloverfork area. It stands there now, refurbished, as a reminder of our rich history. Take a selfie in front of the building for 1 chance to win the grand prize.
24. There are many locations and landmarks in Harlan County that pay homage to the industry that help build our county. This landmark is located in downtown Evarts and is made out of coal. It honors the men and women who have been a part of that industry. Take a selfie with this landmark for 1 chance to win the grand prize.
25. This wall, located in Evarts, KY is a dedication to the veteran heroes of their community. Take a selfie with this dedication for 1 chance to win the grand prize.
26. Stand on top of the world (or atleast Kentucky)! At the top of this mountain located above Lynch, KY you will be standing at 4,145 ft. which is the highest point in the state of Kentucky. Take a selfie on this mountain for 2 chances to win the grand prize.
27. Highway 38 is a long road leading to Virginia. Just before the state line, a gorgeous waterfall rushes down the mountainside. It isn’t safe to climb or enter the waterfall so you should take your selfie from yards away for 2 chances to win the grand prize.
28. Harlan County is famous for its off-road opportunities. Show us you’re off-road ready with a picture of you and your dirt bike, ATV, side by side, rock crawlers, Jeep, or 4×4! You’ll get 1 chance at the grand prize.
29. This man-made lake boasts a fishing dock as well as excellent bank fishing located on HWY 38. In 2019, it yielded the state record largemouth bass! Take a selfie on the dock of this lake for 1 chance to win the grand prize.
30. Show us your favorite thing about Harlan County! It could be a spot, an attraction, a store, a restaurant, a person, an activity, etc! We just want to see what YOU love about Harlan County!